Monday, December 5, 2011

Dessert Friday #22

Don't worry. I'm still alive. Just really terrible at keeping up with posting.

On Friday, my friend Katherine told me about this computer game called Machinarium, so...that's what I've been doing since Friday. It's a point and click puzzle game, you're a robot, you have to go along and solve these puzzles...I'm making myself sound like the most interesting person in the world, right?

Absolutely wrong.

I got Nick and myself cupcakes and a slice of red velvet cake from Magnolia for Dessert Friday last week.

Yup.

Everything looked great, as you expect it would.

Pretty.

I have to say...big, big letdown. I got a pistachio cupcake:

Interesting.

And a devil's food cupcake:

Indulgent.

Let me just say...save your cents and stick with the regular vanilla cupcake with vanilla buttercream frosting. The pistachio frosting tasted interesting, but it was so fluffy I almost felt like I was eating Cool Whip with crushed pistachios sprinkled on top (disclaimer: I have absolutely nothing against Cool Whip, but when I'm paying $3.50 for a cupcake barely the size of my palm, I'm expecting better). The devil's food cupcake had cream cheese frosting, so that obviously won me over. Still though...I think the vanilla + vanilla is better.

And then. Then there was the slice of red velvet cake.

Hello.

Okay. This thing cost $6.00, and sure, it's slightly bigger than your average slice of cake, but I will absolutely not buy it again. The cake itself was dry and tasted nothing like red velvet cake. My friend at work, Eileen, made red velvet cupcakes for my birthday that tasted 100 times better than this stuff. The frosting? Don't get me started. Oh wait. Too late. I got started. Not cream cheese frosting, which is a crime. It's some weird very whipped up stuff that wasn't even their vanilla buttercream (which is heavenly, I'd just like to say). It tasted like water and powdered sugar whipped together (which it probably was).

So, in summary, I will not be buying red velvet cake from Magnolia again. It's basically just dried-out cake with some red food coloring, and it tastes worse than anything you can make from scratch yourself (not a baker? you could still do better than this), and it's $6.00 out of your wallet.

I'll eat it if you don't want it.

End rant.

Oh, I also got a 2-inch thick memory foam mattress topper last week for my bed.

It's alive.

Don't worry, it didn't stay crumpled like that.

COMFY

Which isn't really a great thing, because now I'm even less motivated to get out of bed in the mornings, and the only thing I want to do is sit in bed and play Machinarium. Which is what I'm off to do now.

You are lame.

2 comments: